Verbal Design is about designing the approach to how a brand uses language, everywhere, from naming and voice to conversational interfaces. We call it Verbal Design because it’s a craft, it’s output-focused, it’s dynamic, and it acts as the thread that ties all of a brand’s experiences and conversations together. Especially today: when Verbal Design has become more necessary than ever. (Just ask Alexa.)
As a Senior Verbal Designer, you’ll be working with the Head of Verbal Design to think critically, think creatively, and write brilliantly. You’ll act as the lead contributor on brand character, storytelling, and naming projects, and as a collaborator on visual design, experience design, and business and brand strategy work.
- Portfolio of creative writing with a strong strategic foundation
- Some experience in brand character and voice, naming, or brand storytelling
- An ability to critically and creatively inform and support multi-disciplinary work
- Evidence of an ability to craft and deliver compelling client presentations
- Keen eye for insights and ideas and an ability to translate that into creative
- Ability to manage your own work flow and output, setting clear timelines and expectations, providing an initial point of view, and identifying project needs
- Ability to guide junior writers, providing the first round of direction and feedback
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive programs
- Experience with other languages, semiotics and linguistics, or coding a plus
- At least 4+ years in branding, consulting, writing, or a similar space
People that are successful here have a ‘makers mentality’—they bias toward doing, and creating. They’re comfortable working in the ambiguity of innovation, generous collaborators and listeners, always optimistic, and excited by the opportunity to learn and try new things.